There are two types of people, those who get up in the morning and are ready to “eat” their day, and those who get up in the morning and are in a need to EAT their breakfast first.
I’m a “breakfast please” person. I love my breakfast time and nothing will come between me and my breakfast and coffee in the morning.
Well… sometimes yoga comes before breakfast, but I’m still half asleep and in my pyjamas for early yoga sessions, so it doesn’t really count, right?
As cyclists, racers or weekend warriors, I’m sure you are already well educated about the importance of a well balanced breakfast before you clip into your pedals.
I will admit it, about 10 years ago, as a rookie cyclist I did listen to some advices and adopted the old times cyclist’s breakfast, pasta. Yes, I had plain pasta for breakfast back in the days.
It wasn’t exciting at all, but I guess it did it’s job and fuelled my body with the needed carbohydrates for the ride of the day.
Later as a cyclist, my breakfast has changed and was oatmeal, yogurt and a banana while my roommate had oatmeal, yogurt and an apple.
Reflecting back, I think we were really tired most of the time and it was just that easy to remember to buy apples and bananas.
On this blog post I’m going to share with you 3 breakfast recipes!
Two recipes from two friends, whom I dare you to google their names (Ok, ok I will provide some good links at the end of this post!)
And another one, which is my number one breakfast before hitting the gym for a leg workout.
Recipe no. 1 – Oatmeal Bowl
From: Megan Guarnier
Yield: 1 serving
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 tsp chia seeds or ground flaxseeds
pinch of cinnamon
handful of dried fruit (e.g goji berries, raisins, cranberries, mulberries)
1 apple or 1 banana diced
1 cup water or your choice of milk
*optional: egg whites (to add protein)
Toppings: berries, apricots, peach, kiwi, pineapple
Greek yogurt or fromage blanc
Honey or maple syrup
– Put in a pot the old fashioned oats, chia or flex seeds, cinnamon, dried fruit, apple or banana, water or milk (and the egg whites if you add it).
– Bring it to boil and cook until it’s no longer watery.
– Now it’s the time to add your choice of toppings.
– Stir all the ingredients
– Bon Appetite! as we say in our French neighbourhood.
Recipe no. 2 – Breakfast Quinoa and Blueberries
From: Kaytee Boyd
Yield: 8 servings
1 cup steel-cut oats (or plain oats)
1 cup quinoa
1 tbsp coconut oil
3 cm fresh ginger, peeled and cut into coins
2 large lemons, zest and juice
3/4 tsp salt
Toppings: 1 cup keifer yogurt (optional)
2 handfuls hazelnuts, roughly chopped and toasted
2 cups blueberries or mixed berries
– Soak the quinoa overnight. In the morning add the oats and pop into a fine mesh strainer and
rinse for about a minute under running water. Set aside.
– Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
– Add the rinsed grains and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they begin to smell toasted.
– Pour in 4 cups of water and stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt, the ginger coins and the zest of one lemon.
– Bring to boil, cover, turn the heat right down and simmer for 20 minutes.
– Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
– Remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
– Remove the ginger coins.
– Pop in a bowl and add the rest of the goodies.
* I don’t have a picture of it right now, so I invite you to add yours to Instagram and share with us #ridefunkier #BeMoreByEinatArgon
Recipe no. 3 – Protein Pancakes
From: Einat Argon
Yield: 2 servings
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup oats
60 grams protein powder (vanilla flavour works best here)
Toppings: Yogurt or fromage blanc
Strawberries or your choice of fruit
Honey or maple syrup or peanut butter
– Mix all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy.
– Preheat your pan over a low flame.
– When the pan is hot enough, pour some batter on the pan and flip after a couple of minutes.
– Cook for another couple of minutes on the other side and stack on a plat.
– Repeat the last two steps until you’ve finished the batter.
The promised links:
Megan Guarnier :
Kaytee Boyd :
Einat Argon :